A beach is the quintessential backdrop for a jaw-dropping wedding. Coreen Murphy, my sis and founder of The Food Click, knew this well when she decided to hold her nuptial fete at the gorgeous Sunset Cliffs in San Diego, CA. Her day was nothing short of fabulous, thanks to all the DIY details, gold sparkle and budget-friendly ideas that went into this magical ceremony.
1. Pre-Wedding Pool Party: The day before the wedding, we threw a pool party for the bride. This was a great chance for Coreen’s friends who couldn’t make it to the bridal shower to celebrate with her.
2. Getting Ready: Coreen rented out a hotel suite for the bridal party to get ready in. I decorated the room with some DIY decor, including photo coasters, personalized love pillows and a large photo canvas.
3. Bridal Accessories: Coreen accessorized her dress with a set of pearls and nude heels.
4. Rings: Coreen opted for a nontraditional ring with her black diamond engagement ring, which paired perfectly with her diamond-spotted wedding band.
5. Bridal Crown: Coreen’s golden crown was my favorite accessory of the weekend. The subtle bling and delicate leaves added a romantic touch to her ethereal look. Although Coreen purchased hers, you can make your own by following this laurel head wreath tutorial.
6. Dress: Coreen’s blush-colored dress with light floral detailing was the perfect choice for a sunset wedding. She glowed in the yellow and red light as she walked down the aisle.
7. Groom’s Look: Since the wedding was on the beach, the groom chose a casual suit over a tuxedo. Marek paired his preppy white suit jacket and pants with a checkered button-down. His black bow tie completed the look.
8. DIY Stationery: Coreen wanted her wedding full of gold detailing, so I designed and printed glam stationery for her.
9. DIY Hotel + Bridesmaid Bags: Coreen put together these hotel and bridesmaid bags herself. For the hotel guests, she filled kraft paper bags with yummy snacks and a sweet note. She handed her bridesmaids dollar-section totes from Target (budget-friendly tip alert!) filled with beach accessories, including towels and “Team Bride” neon tanks to wear during Beach Olympics. Yep, the day after the wedding, Coreen and Marek threw an athletic competition consisting of spoon races, potato sack relays and bocce ball. It was a fun and unique way to bring the bridal party, groomsmen and wedding guests together.
10. Ceremony Setting: Coreen and Marek held their wedding ceremony at Sunset Cliffs in San Diego. The cliffs made for some stunning and dramatic views.
11. DIY Bamboo Arch: Coreen and Marek DIYed the bamboo arch that served as the backdrop for their nuptials. To make the arch, they found the bamboo on Craigslist and simply nailed the pieces together. They glued bases on to the bottom of either side for stability.
12. Bridal Bouquet: Coreen envisioned neutral and whites with pops of sunset colors as the theme for her big day. Her florist nailed Coreen’s bouquet.
13. Bridesmaids: As you might have guessed from Coreen’s choice in engagement rings, she’s not your typical bride. Coreen flipped the traditional color scheme by having her bridesmaids wear white, while she wore a light, blush-colored ball gown.
14. Flower Crowns: Flower crowns completed the bridesmaids’ look. You can get this look for your bridesmaids with this easy DIY flower crown tutorial.
15. The Exit: Their exit was complete with a white runner covered in white petals.
16. Reception: Coreen and Marek held their reception on the rooftop of an industrial building in downtown San Diego. It served as a harmonious dichotomy to their organic ceremony.
17. Husband + Wife Introduction: The jazz band led their first introduction as husband and wife while we all clapped and cheered. The couple then immediately began their first dance.
18. DIY Centerpieces: One of the bridesmaids put together all of Coreen’s floral centerpieces using flowers she purchased from Trader Joe’s. Who says you need a florist to do your centerpieces?
19. DIY Chair Signs: Coreen made these Mr. and Mrs. chair signs out of wood plank pieces and paint. One of her bridesmaids adorned them with fresh flowers.
20. DIY Favors: Guests went home with chocolates topped with DIY thank you tags I designed and printed. I was so happy to be a part of my sister’s big day.
Photographer: Joshua Aull Photography
Bouquets: La Belle Bloom
Ceremony: Sunset Cliffs
Ceremony String Quartet: La Jolla Strings
Roof Top Reception Venue: 10th Ave Arts Center
Cake and Gift Box Chocolates: Caxao
Reception Music: Teagan Taylor Trio
Tables, Chairs & Linens: Raphael’s
Dress: David’s Bridal
Make Up: Evonne An
Stationery: Kristi Murphy
What ideas would you borrow from this gorg sunset beach wedding? Let us know in the comments below