This has definitely been the year of DIY beauty. We’ve learned a ton about what products improve our complexion, and it turns out, a lot of them are essential oils or ingredients that we already have in our kitchens. By mixing and matching the right oils and edible goodies, you can perfect your skin right at home, without any chemicals whatsoever. When our faces need a serious pick-me-up, we swear by face masks we can whip up in our own kitchens, and these are our 13 favorite recipes from this year.
1. Honey Avocado Face Mask: We could eat avocados on just about everything, so honestly it was a little tricky to set some aside to put on our mugs… but it was totally worth it. Avocado will make your skin glow, soothe it and make it super soft. (via Brit + Co)
2. Lavender Oatmeal Face Mask: Everything about this mask is meant to nourish and soften your skin. With the addition of lavender, this is the kind of treatment that’s perfect for keeping your skin healthy and your body relaxed. (via Julip Made)
3. Grapefruit and Oatmeal Detox Face Mask: We all need a good detox now and then, but we don’t always have time to do a complete body cleanse. This is the perfect option to at least make your face look fresh and lovely with only three ingredients. (via Beauty Bets)
4. Turmeric Face Mask: Turmeric is a total powerhouse ingredient for face masks. It not only helps prevent wrinkles, but will also brighten your skin. When teamed up with honey, the two make for a mask that will clean your skin and make it look positively radiant. (via Bustle)
5. Chocolate Oatmeal Face Mask: We’ve always heard that chocolate is not great for breakouts, so we were a little surprised to hear that it could help by adding antioxidants into your skin and helping amp up your blood flow. Not that we’re complaining. (via Gourmande in the Kitchen)
6. Green Tea Honey Mask: You make this mask without even brewing the tea! Just take the tea leaves from inside the bag and combine them with honey to form a paste. It’s a great rescue for redness. (via Wit and Delight)
7. All-Natural Detox Clay Mask: Your skin will love calcium bentonite clay. It soaks up all of the bad stuff in your skin and acts as a great base for a really BA mask. This blogger added witch hazel, turmeric and coconut oil. (via Feel and Flourish)
8. Honey Cinnamon Nutmeg Face Mask: This one sounds delicious. In fact, we think we’d whip up a little extra to put on top of pancakes. Anyway, back to the mask. Cinnamon and honey work to cleanse your skin and even dry out pimples. With a touch of nutmeg, you’re ready to exfoliate your way to clear skin. (via Liz Marie Blog)
9. Homemade Pumpkin Mask: Got any pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving? Put it to good use! Add in some honey and milk, and you have the ideal concoction for fighting wrinkles and redness. (via Beautylish)
10. Greek Yogurt Mask: Beauty goddess Lauren Conrad put together this super simple recipe comprised of only Greek yogurt and probiotic capsules. This one dissolves dirt while calming and nourishing your skin. (via Refinery29)
11. Egg White and Honey Face Mask: If acne causes you grief, this may be a new addition to your skin routine. Egg whites not only tighten pores, they prevent more dirt from getting into your skin, while honey works to clear out the dirt that’s already in there. (via Dirty Looks)
12. Homemade Biore Strips: Biore strips are awesome, but they can be a bit pricey. This is a totally cheap alternative and you only need two ingredients. Seriously. Just milk and gelatin. Mix and peel, people. (via Barefoot Blonde)
13. DIY Coconut Honey Face Mask: Sometimes all you need to add to honey is a little bit of exfoliating power. Coconut flakes are just the ticket to take down any puffiness on your face and aid in relieving redness. (via Organic Beauty Talk)
What ingredients does your skin love? Let us know in the comments!