Get your new year off to the best start possible with this collection of 12 recipes. Each promises to add a bit of luck to your life, but even if they don’t, trust that it won’t be in vain. Featuring an assortment of sweet cakes, savory snacks and warming soups, your taste buds alone will definitely have a bright beginning.
1. Almond Grape Tea Cake: Eating 12 grapes as the clock strikes midnight is rumored to bring luck to each month of the coming year. This cake is an extra sweet way to enjoy a few of your allotment. (via Martha Stewart)
5. Spaghetti Carbonara With Black Kale: Greens plus pork is a recipe for two times the luck. With all the tasty elements going on — pancetta, pasta, cheese — kale has (almost) never looked so good. (via Williams Sonoma)
6. White Pepper Parmesan Coins: Food resembling money is said to be especially lucrative, so it might be tempting to hoard all of these cheesy crackers for your own enjoyment. We suspect doing so might bring some bad karma — please proceed with caution. (via Simple Bites)
8. Red Pepper and Collard Green Potstickers: A little saute and spice is the trick to transforming collard greens into a tasty dumpling filling while respecting their Southern roots at the same time. (via Southern Soufflé)
10. Slow Cooked Black Eyed Peas: A spoonful of liquid smoke amplifies the bacon flavor in this traditional New Year’s Day side dish. Major bonus: The slow cooker makes these black eyed peas a cinch to whip up. (via The Wanderlust Kitchen)
11. Jamaican Saltfish fritters: You’ll hit the trifecta of good fortune with these fritters: gold-colored, round and made with fish. Dip these crispy-yet-fluffy-centered orbs into pepper sauce for an experience straight from the Caribbean. (via Immaculate Bites)