If you’re looking for a romantic gift that’s sweet, sassy and totally on-trend, a sexy set of boudoir photos might be just the thing your sweetie needs. We talked to Damien Smith, the award-winning Los Angeles photographer behind Damien Smith Photography, and he told us, “It’s something that’s a bit ‘taboo,’ and that makes it even more fun.” Whether you’re already planning a Valentine’s Day shoot or are saving the idea for your wedding day, these 10 photos — from subtly sultry to sublimely siren-esque — are sure to inspire.
1. Sugar + Spice: If you’re going for a look that’s more playful than racy, candy-colored lingerie and a polka-dot apron can add a special dose of fun. Yummy-looking cupcakes definitely don’t hurt either. (via Veraya Thavilyati Photography)
2. Beauty Unveiled: “Getting ready” pictures are a wedding-day must. Make yours extra special by letting your photographer capture a few boudoir-style images. Or, Damien says, schedule a session ahead of time and give your spouse a racy photobook as a wedding-night gift. (via Amie Pendle Photography)
3. Classic Glamour: While we’re certainly wild about color, there’s just something timelessly alluring about a classic black-and-white image. (via Hannah Millerick)
4. Super Sweet Valentine: Cook up some fun this Valentine’s Day by whipping together a creative boudoir shoot that’s just oozing with sparkle and sweets. One secret to a perfectly planned photo session? Damien suggests meeting with your photographer in person beforehand to hash out all the juicy details. (via Courtney Lindberg Photography)
5. Great Outdoors: Give your boudoir shoot a daring and unexpected twist by taking things outdoors. This session, featuring a veil and bouquet, reminds us of a trash-the-dress shoot, just without the actual, um, dress. (via Lara Hotz)
6. Under Wraps: Don’t want to reveal too much? This bride’s robe helps keep things modest, while the lacy garter adds a subtle touch of sexiness. (via The Becker)
7. Streaming Sunlight: Creative props are fun, but sometimes it’s the simplest images that end up being the most beautiful. Just be sure to choose a photographer you’re comfortable with, Damien advises, and then relax, relax, relax. (via Voncierge)
8. Work It: Props don’t have to be as elaborate as frosted cupcakes — anything from a pen to a book can easily work. This photo shows off that you’ve got beauty and brains to share. (via Revealed Studios)
9. Divine Drama: From rocking a chic updo to slipping on a glam necklace, have fun dialing up the drama when it comes to your look. Hire a professional makeup artist, advises Damien, and also be sure to get plenty of rest the night before. (via Craig LaMere)
10. Bachelorette Bash: Want to throw a bachelorette party your bestie will never forget? Skip the traditional bar hopping and schedule a group boudoir session for the ultimate girls’-night-in. (via Admire Studios)
What do you think of boudoir shoots? Share your thoughts and creative ideas below!